Bath time is a sacred tradition for many people. Sometimes, there’s nothing better than drawing a bath, sitting down for a soak, and kicking back to relax at the end of a long day with a glass of wine in your hand.
But here’s the truth: most bathtubs aren’t designed for exceptional neck ergonomics. When you try to lean back, you might find that your neck hurts or that there’s nowhere comfortable to place your head! Bathtub pillows could be just the solution you’re looking for. Let’s explore how you can elevate your nighttime routine with the right bathtub pillows.
What is a Bathtub Pillow?
Simply put, a bathtub pillow is exactly what it sounds like: a waterproof pillow meant to be used and enjoyed while in the bath! Most bathtub pillows are also specially designed to be ergonomic for your head and neck while laying down or reclining in a traditional bath.
Bathtub pillows are available in several major types:
- Angular or straight-back bathtub pillows are straight and relatively flat. They’re meant to provide a bit of cushioning for your neck, spine, and even the bottom of your head.
- Cushioned or shaped pillows. These might have more distinct angles or curves and are designed to support your neck and head while you lean back in a bathtub.
- Neck bath pillows. These bathtub pillows are specially shaped to support your neck and head. Think of them as similar to airplane pillows but made to survive the wetness that comes with bath time!
Regardless, all bathtub pillows can help you relax in much more comfort than normal.
How to Choose a Bathtub Pillow
Although all bathtub pillows can be helpful, no two pillows are alike. Because of this, you should look for specific factors or features to make sure you pick up the right pillow for you.
For instance, consider the foam a given pillow material is made of. Most are made of combinations of foam and mesh while others might be made of PVC or smooth vinyl. The latter two materials aren’t as comfortable, but they are easier to clean and are oftentimes more durable. But keep in mind that some people have allergic reactions to vinyl and PVC, so make sure you’re not allergic before purchasing a pillow made of these materials!
You’ll also want to consider shape. Many of the best bathtub pillows come with expanded sections to support your back and upper shoulders, plus a small headrest to provide extra support to your neck and head. Others might only have a single section or shape and may be better suited for folks who want more support for their backs.
Then consider whether a given pillow has extra accessories or bonuses. Some come with storage pockets for your accessories or are fully adjustable.
Certain bathtub pillows, like Everlasting Comfort’s luxurious bath pillow, are designed for comfort and durability in equal measure.
How Should You Use a Bathtub Pillow for Maximum Comfort?
While bathtub pillows can be super comfortable and helpful so you can enjoy your routine, you have to use them correctly to maximize their benefits. Specifically, you should:
- Set out your bathtub pillow after drawing your bath. This way, it doesn’t become too wet, which can affect how it feels on your neck and head.
- Clean your bathtub pillow regularly. All you need to do is rinse it and dry it off from time to time. This will prevent mold or mildew from growing on or inside it.
- Test out how you should orient your bath pillow for maximum comfort. For example, you might find that it feels better if you position it below your skull. Others might find that the same bath pillow is more comfortable closer to their heads.
Above all else, experiment! Your bathtub pillow is meant to make you feel comfy, so try a bunch of shapes and styles until you find the right pillow and position for your needs.
When to Use a Bathtub Pillow
Once you have a new bathtub pillow, you should use it anytime you want! After all, it is meant to accompany you anytime you plan to soak for more than a few minutes. You can use your bathtub pillow after a long day at work, during a bathtub soak before a date night, or when you want to listen to music in a bubble bath.
At the end of the day, you deserve to recline in relaxation and comfort when you draw a warm bubble bath. A bathtub pillow can complete your nighttime routine and help you enjoy your bath as much as possible. Do yourself and your neck a favor and pick up a new bathtub pillow today!